We often take our teeth for granted so does the children follow us. Our Dentists in Singapore often notice this phenomenon across the Dental Clinics in Singapore. But poor dental hygiene leads to tooth problems often making it difficult to eat properly. This is exactly why it is essential to lean the importance of Children Dentistry. It is reported in countries like the United States that over 51 million school hours are lost every year due to dental related problems. This is no different to a rough estimate of Singapore in proportionate to the US population.
Based on this experience, we come across at our Dental Clinics in Singapore, we make the following recommendations to our patients to prevent dental issues and restrict progress of the current ones. Do not forget to talk to our doctors about Children Dentistry during your visit.
How to prevent children’s periodontal disease?
1. Learning begins at home: Though we recommend regular visits to dentists in Singapore, where we advice our patients and do’s and don’ts, it is always good for parents to teach children good oral health habits from as soon as they can understand. Get them into the routine of brushing and flossing their teeth just as they would brush their hair – hence making it a daily routine.
2. When your child is one year old, start introducing toothpaste in little quantities pressed into the bristles and gently brushing the teeth and gums. Make sure the brush is soft and don’t harm the gums.
3. Flossing should be introduced only when the gaps between the teeth begin to close. Otherwise, they may harm the gums.
4. Children imitate / follow the parents! You are the first role model to them. You also should make a habit of brushing along with your child twice a day and clean your teeth with plain water after every meal etc., you should talk to them about visiting a dentist for a regular checkup and take them along with your in regular intervals.
5. When the child is old enough to understand, talk about the lovely clean minty taste after brushing, the smooth-tooth feeling when they run their tongues over the teeth and the importance of fresh breath. This gives them a clear distinction between a bad oral health and good oral health which they will be surely benefited throughout their life.
6. If the child is not able to avoid heavy sugar foods like candy, chocolate, and sodas, encourage them to use a straw for sodas and juices – the straw shoots more of the fluid to the back of the throat and it’s less likely to linger in the mouth, coating the teeth.
7. Never put juice, soda or sugary drinks in a baby’s bottle for them to suck on in the day or at night. Only use water.
8. No matter if the child complaints or not, check regularly in the child’s mouth for any symptoms stated below.
Signs of dental disease among children: when to take an action?
1. Bleeding gums when brushing, flossing or at any other time.
2. Child complaints any pain inside the tooth.
3. Gum puffiness, especially if they are bright red or swollen.
4. Gum recession. Look at the gums in the mouth – they should be even along the lower edges of the teeth but if they seem lower on some than others, they may have receded and this can expose the roots in extreme cases. The child may complain of pain when eating hot/cold food or drinks.
5. Constant bad breath is also a sign on tooth and gum ill health. If breath smells bad even after brushing, this can mean that the gums are rotting because of bacteria and plaque.
In any case as above listed, it is highly recommended that you make an appointment with a dentist in Singapore and take your child to the dental clinic as soon as you can, so as to avoid any further complications. It is also equally important to select a dental clinic providing a wide range of services and is well equipped. Keeping in mind this criterion, we ensure various Dental Services across all our Dental Clinics in Singapore. Should you wish to know more, please have a quick look at our Dental Services in Singapore?
You may contact us now to make an appointment; one of our friendly staff shall attend your call to assist in scheduling your visit.